Information regarding CT Folk’s upcoming Grassy Hill Song-writing Competition will be posted shortly
The information below refers to our 2019 competition, to provide some reference
CT Folk invites singer-songwriters to enter at least two of their compositions in the Grassy Hill Song Competition.
Five finalists will perform two of their submitted songs at the Connecticut Folk Festival & Green Expo on September 12th in New Haven before a panel of judges. The winner will receive $150 and will be awarded a slot in the Festival lineup. Judges are music industry professionals and DJs.
The Connecticut Folk Festival & Green Expo is a free outdoor event in New Haven’s Edgerton Park with a main stage, a contra dance, activities for children, and at least 75 “Green Living” exhibitors, educators, and vendors. Musicians perform, rain or shine, from 11 AM through 10 PM.
Fees: $25 for the first two songs (minimum requirement) and $20 per each additional song (optional). Competitors may enter an unlimited number of songs. Competitors must use the Wufoo website to enter.
- Solo or duo singer-songwriters may enter the competition.
- Songwriters retain all rights to the songs that they have submitted to the competition.
- Each entered song should not exceed 4 minutes in duration, including introduction.
- Songs will be judged on quality of songwriting. Professional recordings are not required.
- CT Folk board members, staff, and members of their families are not eligible for the competition.
- The deadline for entering the competition is March 31, 2019. Finalists will be notified by April 30th.
- Finalists must perform (only) two of their submitted songs on Saturday, September 7, 2019, at the event in New Haven, Connecticut, and are responsible for their own travel and lodging.
- Professional sound and sound engineer will be provided. No backline will be provided.
- Solo performers may bring one backup musician for the competition performance.
- Performers must provide the judges with a hard copy of lyrics on the day of the festival.